First published April 3, 2008 in Old Cars Weekly
1927 CHRYSLER DEALERSHIP OPENING – By: M.J. Frumkin
Eighty-one years ago, a Chrysler dealer ran an advertisement in The Camel Trail magazine, which is the official publication for the renowned Medinah County Club in Medinah, Ill.
The ad promoted the 1927 Chrysler Imperial 80 sold by E.C. Schneider Motor Sales Co. Schneider, a Shriner and member of the private club, and had been selling cars on Chicago’s North Avenue for 12 years when he launched his new store, seen in the ad layout. The dealership featured a 75-foot long front façade that was clad in ornate terra cotta.
From the street, a passerby could easily see into the establishment, and marvel at the Spanish Palm plaster walls, walnut trim, bronze staircase and wrought-iron electrical fixtures.
During the grand opening, the elegant showroom was filled with 75 large baskets of flowers. On display were new Chrysler models, with prices ranging from $847 to $5,950.
Located in the rear of the building was the service department, which boasted the most modern and up-to-date equipment, with service bays flooded by daylight and an electric lighting system that was deemed perfect. Chas. M. Paulson was the first purchaser in Schneider’s new location, driving home a 1927 Imperial 80 fully closed five-passenger coupe.